SDCWGA © All Rights Reserved.
A Golf Organization Created by Women Golfers for Women Golfers
Cell Phone & PDA Policy
Devices such as cell phones, PDAs, etc (i.e., devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:
- Using the device to check voicemails, emails, text messages and the internet provided in doing so does not unduly delay play or slow the pace of play to you or your group. The device should only be used to make phone calls in emergency or family related situations.
- Using the device to access information on advice-related matters that was produced prior to the start of the player’s round (e.g., an electronic yardage book, swing tips).
- Using the device to access (but not interpret or process) playing information from previous rounds (e.g., driving distances, individual club yardages, etc).
- Using the device to obtain information related to the competition being played (e.g., the leader board or projected "cut").
- A distance-measuring application may be used, however there must be no other features or application installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules.
Examples of uses of devices such as cell phones, PDAs, etc during a stipulated round that are a breach of Rule 14-3, for which the penalty is disqualification, include:
A distance-measuring application is used and the device has other “non-conforming” features such as a compass application on the phone if these other features are being used
- Using the device (e.g., a television or radio) to watch or listen to a broadcast of the competition being played.
- Using the device to ask for or give advice in breach of Rule 8-1 (e.g., calling a swing coach).
- Using the device to access information on advice-related matters that was not produced prior to the start of his round (e.g., analysis of strokes made during that round).
- Using the device to interpret or process any playing information obtained from current or previous rounds (e.g., driving distances, individual club yardages, etc) or to assist in calculating the effective distance between two points (i.e., distance after considering gradient, wind speed and/or direction, temperature or other environmental factors).